||Required knowledge, skills and behaviours
- Degree of a UK higher education institution or equivalent.
- For secondary teacher training, usually at least 50% of the content of your degree should be in the subject for which you are applying to train.
- At least a grade C (Grade 4) in both GCSE English Language and GCSE Mathematics at the time of application. (Note – Level 2 Literacy and Level 2 Numeracy are NOT equivalent qualifications)
- Primary applicants should also have Grade C (Grade 4) in a Science subject.
- You are required to have passed the literacy and numeracy professional skills tests before starting teacher training.
- A proactive mentality: you show initiative, are self-motivated and seek out useful learning experiences and opportunities.
- A love for learning: you reflect upon what you have learnt and constantly strive to improve.
- A ‘can do’ attitude: you are resilient, determined and flexible.
- Excellent communication skills – especially communicating with children
- High standard of written and spoken English, including a clear speaking voice and good presentation skills
- Excellent organisational skills
- Humility, empathy and respect
- Professional appearance and manner
- A commitment to Child Protection / Safeguarding
- Commitment to equal opportunities and raising standards
- A collaborative worker: you work well in a team and engage with others to get the best out of situations.
- The ability to work effectively in high performing teams, working under pressure, meeting deadlines and securing professional relationships with both staff and students.
|Knowledge and experience
- Primary – recent experience in UK primary schools
- Secondary – recent experience in UK classrooms where your chosen subject is taught.
- Clear understanding of the role of the teacher, and the time commitment the job requires.
- Good knowledge of the current curriculum in your chosen subject area
- Note: The School Direct salaried route is aimed at career changers who wish to enter the teaching profession. In addition to the requirements outlined above, applicants for School Direct salaried places need to have worked for a minimum of 3 years. This does not need to have been in an educational setting.
||Following successful interview, all conditional offers will include:
- Health and physical capacity to teach standards met (assessed through an occupational health questionnaire)
- Satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check
- Satisfactory criminal record check for overseas
- Satisfactory check to ensure there is no prohibition order to teach in UK or European Economic Area (EEA)